Fighting For Children And Families After Preventable Birth Injuries
When your child is born, it is usually one of the happiest times of your life. Unfortunately, complications can arise during pregnancy and/or the delivery, resulting in injuries to the child that have long-lasting consequences. In many cases, birth injuries are the result of negligence on the part of medical professionals. If this has happened to your family, it is important that you contact an attorney as soon as possible.
At Christiansen Law Offices, our birth injury lawyers have extensive experience assisting families who have suffered a birth injury as a result of medical malpractice. Contact us to arrange your free initial consultation and to learn how we can help you.
Nevada Birth Injury Attorneys
Negligence involves failing to adhere to policies and procedures that are instituted for the safety of a patient or failing to apply the normal standard of care expected given the circumstances of a particular patient. The following are some of the parties who can be held liable for a birth injury:
- Medical doctors (obstetricians/gynecologists)
- Health care facilities, hospitals and clinics
Some of the injuries that can occur as a result of medical malpractice or medical negligence include:
- Asphyxia occurs when an infant does not receive oxygen before, during or immediately after birth. Without oxygen, the cells in the body cannot function properly and acid builds up in the cells, potentially causing permanent injury to the baby. The severity of injury to the baby depends on the duration and severity of the asphyxia before treatment was administered.
- Birth paralysis is caused by spinal cord or nerve damage. In most cases, birth paralysis is the result of medical malpractice and should be investigated by a law firm as soon as possible.
- Cerebral palsy is a motor coordination disability resulting from the damage caused to the brain before or during birth.
- Brachial plexus injuries can cause long-term damage in the neck, shoulder and arm. Brachial plexus injuries commonly result from shoulder dystocia during birth.
- Shoulder dystocia occurs when, during a difficult birth, the anterior shoulder of the infant becomes impacted below the mother’s pelvic bone.
- Erb’s palsy can result in partial or total paralysis of the face, arm or hands. Erb’s palsy is typically the result of shoulder dystocia or other damage to the brachial plexus.
- C-section injuries can affect both babies and mothers. While C-section births are common, mistakes do occur, and medical professionals can be held accountable.
Birth Injuries Resulting In The Death Of A Mother
Medical errors during pregnancy put mothers and babies at risk. When the error is so egregious that it takes the mother’s life, no words can express the devastation experienced by the family. These injuries must be thoroughly investigated. Our firm advises and represents families who are seeking answers after losing a mother due to birth complications.
In addition to the emotional impact of their loss, the family must contend with the various monetary costs resulting from death. A wrongful death claim may be the only way to alleviate the family’s financial and legal burdens, as well as hold the responsible parties accountable.
Despite medical advances in recent decades, women in the United States are still at risk of potentially fatal complications during pregnancy. Such complications may include:
- C-section injuries
- Failure to diagnose or treat preeclampsia
- Anesthesia errors
- Vaginal birth errors associated with shoulder dystocia
Our medical malpractice lawyers have extensive experience in these matters. We know how to investigate birth injuries, and we have a record of success in holding doctors, nurses and health care facilities accountable.
Let Us Help You
Birth injury cases are complex and emotionally and financially burdensome for the affected parties. Our birth injury lawyers can help you determine whether a hospital or medical professional is potentially liable for the injury to your child and what options are available to you. We will do everything we can to make sure your family receives full and fair compensation for the injuries you have suffered.
No Fee On Birth Injury Cases Unless We Recover Compensation For You.