Standing Up Against Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home residents suffering mistreatment in care facilities often do not speak up about abuse and neglect. Some keep quiet, because they do not want to burden their families. Others fear that the mistreatment will escalate if they say anything. Still others are unable to communicate the problems due to physical or mental limitations. Therefore, it frequently falls on the resident’s family members to look for signs of neglect or abuse.
Signs of Nursing Home Negligence
Your loved one may be suffering from nursing home staff negligence or abuse if you notice the following:
- Bedsores on back, buttocks, legs, etc.
- Weight loss due to malnutrition or dehydration
- Unexplained bruises, broken bones or cuts
- Inadequate physical or dental hygiene
- Feces or urine on clothing or bedding
- Abrupt behavior changes which may indicate mental abuse
- Hesitation to speak openly
- Drowsiness, drooling or cracked lips, which are signs of overmedication
- Loss of resident’s possessions
- Changes in bank account activity or banking practices
If you notice signs of abuse or neglect, trust your instincts and investigate the situation. Ask questions. If nursing home workers dismiss your concerns, take action immediately. Contact the attorneys at Christiansen Law Offices to help hold Nevada nursing homes and their staffs accountable for any mistreatment.
Let Us Help You
Our Las Vegas nursing home negligence lawyers understand it is difficult to entrust your loved one to someone else’s care, particularly when that individual is elderly or in need of long-term care. Our firm is committed to providing sensitive and compassionate assistance to victims and their families. Contact our firm online or call 702-570-9262 to discuss your situation.